Re: [linux-audio-dev] Python

From: Stephen Sinclair <radarsat1@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 06 2007 - 00:22:59 EET

> chuck already has its own pure-openGL GUI toolkit, used for things like Audicle, and Tapestrea. i doubt youd get anything similar performance wise with python+canvas-of-choice.
>
> not sure how you program the chuck canvas though. i dont think its actualy in chuck the language?

Tapestrea and Audicle are C++ programs using GLUT and OpenGL for their
interface.
Nothing specific about Chuck. They just happen to use Chuck for their
sound engine.
(Or rather, Audicle is a front-end specifically for Chuck, but it's
written in C++.)
There's nothing about Chuck that says you have to use OpenGL. Or even Audicle.
Personally I find miniAudicle a nicer environment than Audicle. Or
even just Emacs.

In fact after playing with it for a couple of days I'm seriously
starting to consider re-writing some of my apps to use it for the
audio back-end instead of my hacky C++ code. You automatically get
good timing, OSC support, all the filters you could want, etc...

Anyways my post wasn't really intended to promote Chuck, it's just
something I've been looking at lately so it came to mind.

Steve