Re: [linux-audio-dev] processing plugin standard wrapper

From: Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 14 2007 - 22:18:19 EET

2007/2/14, Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli@email-addr-hidden>:
> On 2/14/07, Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > I understand that most of you don't feel the need to have such thing,
> > because LADSPA support is everywhere and lots of LADSPA plugins are
> > good, but from my point of view there are thousands of VST plugins
> > around and thousands of hardware machines that use VST and that little
> > program I'm going to write simply can't ignore this situation.
> > I'm absolutely pro-LADSPA/LV2, and I particularly dislike VST license,
> > but it's not a reason to exclude support right now. And it is not a
> > reason to stop experimenting new possible solutions.
> > At the end freedom is choice, isn't it?
> >
> > Stefano
> >

> Aren't you kind of glossing over the fact that those thousands of VST
> plugins around were all written for a different OS, and therefore
> "wrapping" them involves a whole mess of technical and philosophical
> problems?
>
> Personally, I'd rather see the effort go towards making LV2 a real,
> workable standard with all the important features (presets, host tempo
> sync, MIDI handling/processing) that some of the other standards have.

The wrapper would be cross-platform (that means VST implementations
for Linux, Mac and Windows would be different, of course).
However if I work on A it doesn't mean I won't work on B, but just
that I've less time to spend on A. And since I'm not an LV2 guru,
well, maybe I'm not even capable of that.
Then LV2 hasn't been released yet, so maybe it's better to wait right now.

> Well, if you want a piece of code to work in multiple environments you
> either need to write multiple interfaces or make sure that those
> different environments are equivalent from the new code's point of view
> (i.e. uses a common plugin interface). I don't see how there can be
> anything inbetween.

What about a text file with a math formula within it to be used as a
"processing object"?
Ok, it's not a piece of code, but...

Stefano