Re: [linux-audio-dev] audiogui

From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 23:13:29 EET

Le Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:41:08 +0100,
Leonard Ritter <contact@email-addr-hidden-ritter.com> a écrit :

> On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 06:42 -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> > I can say that the QT package is much easier to use and has
> > better documentation and support. Not that GTK is terrible, it's just
> > not as polished or professional.

Just a remark about Qt GUI. It is like another OS: well looking but foolish. I
use QJackCtl on FVWM-Crystal, and when changing the recipe (theme in
FVWM-Crystal) the systray icon become weird or just disappear because Qt/KDE
implementation of the systray is compatible with nothing else. If QJackCtl
was minimized with the systray, the consequence is at I must "killall qjackctl"
and restart it in order to get in control again. It is not what I call
"professional".

I don't have this problem with GTK applications.

Another problem with Qt/KDE is dcop. It work well inside KDE but produce more
warning or error messages in the logs as useful effects on another wm's as kde.
Again, it is not what I call "professional".

I don't want to start a flame war, it is just what I an thinking. Otherwise, I
don't care much about the look of a program as long at it is doing the job and
at I will be able to read what is on the screen even when running my screen at
high definition.

In that regard, a good feature for a toolkit will be the possibility to
completely zoom in or out a program, inclusive the pixmaps on the toolbars and
the text everywhere (as with Ctrl-Alt-+/- for X but just for a program), but I
know no toolkit that can do that.

Cheers,
Dominique