Re: [linux-audio-dev] audiogui

From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 14:37:37 EET

Le Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:19:19 +0000,
Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden> a écrit :

> Dominique Michel wrote:
> > Le Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:41:08 +0100,

> > Just a remark about Qt GUI. It is like another OS: well looking but
> > foolish. I use QJackCtl on FVWM-Crystal, and when changing the recipe
> > (theme in FVWM-Crystal) the systray icon become weird or just disappear
> > because Qt/KDE implementation of the systray is compatible with nothing
> > else. If QJackCtl was minimized with the systray, the consequence is at I
> > must "killall qjackctl" and restart it in order to get in control again. It
> > is not what I call "professional".
> >

> Remarks due: First of all, QjackCtl just has no relation to KDE
> whatsover, besides sharing the same toolkit framework (Qt3). More
> importantly to your case, QjackCtl systray icon implementation is _my_
> own, and is _only_ supposed to work on KDE, Gnome and on all other
> freedesktop.org X11/systray icon protocol compliant desktop
> environments. All other DE/WM's are thus _not_ supported and users
> should avoid opting on using QjackCtl systray icon mode, due to
> unpredictable behavior.
>
> If you find QjackCtl systray behavior "unprofessional" its just because
> you're forcing it to run where it was never tested nor designed to work.
> Just switch the systray icon option off and you'll be fine, I hope.
>
> Cheers,

I don't get this problem with other programs as sylpheed-claws. No matter, I
use another workaround for this systray issue. I added a qjackctl menu in my
audio button. It have 2 options: "killall qjackctl" and "start qjackctl".

The good news is at this problem occur only with recipe switching, so I almost
never use this qjackctl menu. The other good news is at I try to use
stalonetray that is freedesktop compliant with crystal and it work fine.

B.t.w., QJackCtl is a very good program.

--
Dominique Michel