Re: [linux-audio-dev] List migration to linuxaudio.org : remaining issues.

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 18:41:49 EET

Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As I said yesterday when I said the migration to linuxaudio.org was
> postponed till 1st April, there are still a few issues asking for
> comments.
>
> It has been suggested by a few people(Ivica Ico Bukvic, Jan Weil) that
> the email addresses linux-audio-xxxxx@email-addr-hidden was kind of
> redundant. The following suggestions were made :
>
> � just switch the names to announce@email-addr-hidden,
> dev@email-addr-hidden, and user@email-addr-hidden.
>
> � Make aliases : linux-audio-dev@email-addr-hidden -> dev@email-addr-hidden
>
> To this Leonard Ritter replied that this could lead to more spam.

he might be right. a random bot is more likely to spam
user@email-addr-hidden than linux-audio-user@...

a compromise woud be la-user, la-dev , la-ann -
or user-ml@.. (mailing-list), etc. (but that's not catchy enough)

I'd suggest to alias the other way round:
if dev@email-addr-hidden is Spammed, you can announce and drop this feature
again while everyone with "linux-audio-dev@email-addr-hidden" in their
address book won't ever notice.

in short term dev@.. will have less SPAM than linux-audio-dev, and in
the long-run SpamAssassin will mark dup.-postings in blacklists..

OTOH; with dev@email-addr-hidden - we'd benefit from a shorter subject! [la-dev]
compared to [linux-audio-dev] - there are usually < 50 chars for subject
in a 80x24 terminal :) - for email shortcuts there is an addressbook and
personally I use "LAD" as nick for it.

robin