Re: [linux-audio-dev] promoting LAC 2007

From: Steve Harris <steve@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 27 2007 - 18:58:58 EEST

On 27 Mar 2007, at 16:01, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 04:17:16PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
>> Maybe one day there will be a Linux version of Live, but it's
>> not something I particularily look forward to, as I wouldn't
>> use it anyways unless it gets opensource'd.
>
> There are probably many of us thinking the same way.
>
> But the sad fact is that if all Linux users do this, then
> Linux will forever be an 'amateur' platform. From the PoV
> of a professional audio user (i.e. one who makes his/her
> living by providing services in that area), if a product
> does the job and has the right price, there is no good
> reason for not using it.

I mostly agree, but in some ways the acceptable quality of the linux
audio offerings makes proprietary software less necessary. OTOH, for
processing photos I mainly use proprietary software (Lightroom,
Bibble [on Linux] and Capture NX), as the free software options are
simply not up to the job. For comparison the only proprietary music
software I use is to control some dedicated synth hardware.

Obviously I'd prefer to use 100% free software, but I'm more
pragmatic than ideological.

- Steve