Re: [LAD] [ANN] LV2 beta3

From: Lars Luthman <lars.luthman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 23:50:04 EEST

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 22:01 +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> BTW: I wouldn't think bad about the extension-thing. If only it was optional
> and most plugins would run with the basic features and only allow for more
> with extensions available. But if I need to have hosts supporting certain
> features to use the nice plugins this would have me stick with ladspa...

That would be rather silly, since you can do everything with LV2 plugins
without extensions that you can do with LADSPA. Extensions are for
things that you can _not_ do with LADSPA.

> Another thing: I don't think Linux should ever try to get into the field where
> certain interchangeable parts like plugins only work in some rare conditions.
> That is what windows already provides, I wanted to get rid of that and
> switched to linux...

There is no reason that interchangeable plugins will not work in the
same hosts. But a MIDI synth is not interchangeable with a lowpass
filter or an OSC sequencer. If plugins will require different
extensions, it will be because they do different things. If hosts are
not interested in doing those things or don't even have the
infrastructure for them they will of course not implement those
extensions.

--ll