Re: [LAD] [ANN] LV2 beta3

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 00:26:06 EEST

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 22:01 +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2007 schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
> > I don't have any problems with the way LV2 provides for future
> > extensions - it's well done. But requiring such a mechanism to
> > obtain basic low-level information is as silly as offering the
> > gas tank on a car as an option (I assume you would include the
> > wheels as standard).
>
> Haha, nice analogy! Surely you realize that most cars are sold with only the
> basic standard-wheels? Sad but it seems that this also the case for lv2. If
> you want to have sport-wheels or a bigger gas tank or a speedometer it seems
> you have to rely on extensions to the basic version...

The car that is LADSPA has been working just fine in it's (admittedly
limited) domain. We have chosen that as our base set of features
accordingly.

It comes with a gas tank, and tires, but not a radio. There's a big
shelf of radios right at the dealership you can insert in 5 seconds with
no tools. Arguing for radios to be in the "standard" feature set is
stupid because:

a) One mandated radio that is permanently welded to the dash vs. a
selction of the best radios clever radio hackers come up with, fully
open and modular to replace radios at will. No brainer.

b) The "standard" feature set is completely irrelevant since you can
stick whatever you want in your car

c) Some people don't want radios!

-DR-