Re: **[SPAM]** Re: [LAD] PHASEX-0.10.2

From: William Weston <weston@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 23 2007 - 02:21:16 EEST

On Mon, 21 May 2007, Graham Biswell wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 13:03 +0300, Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
> > William Weston <weston@email-addr-hidden> writes:
> >
> > > This one looks like you may have hit a case where the engine
> > > thread is waiting on the buffer ready condition to be broadcast from
> > > the jack thread, which never comes because JACK requested a client
> > > shutdown instead of running the process callback. Does this patch
> > > help?
> >
> > The patch does not help. I beleive the AFAIK the jack_shutdown_handler()
> > is called only when jackd is being shut down, not during jack client
> > shutdown. I added printf in the function and it does not show during
> > phasex shutdown. It appeared however when I tried to stop jackd while
> > phasex was running (and there were some other strange messagest too):
> >
> > # phasex
> > JACK tmpdir identified as [/tmp]
> > cannot read server event (Success)
> > cannot complete execution of the processing graph (Resource temporarily unavailable)
> > zombified - calling shutdown handler
> > jack_shutdown_handler() called.
>
> I get the same here every time if i ^O (load a patch) in phasex whilst
> something else is running in jack (eg seq24 & a single whysynth). If i
> do the ^O whilst seq24 is stopped, i can load the patch without
> problems, and i can then do subsequent ^O's whilst seq24 is running.

Check out the patch I just sent out to fix the JACK shutdown issues,
which should take care of phasex shutting down in an unfriendly way
when this happens.

I'll be looking into the patch loading issue next. From what I can
tell, the first access of the File menu (either by hitting it
directly or accessing an item through a keyboard acceleration)
causes enough of a CPU hit to disrupt other threads. This is the
only menu that currently uses the GTK stock items and keyboard
accelerations. Any GTK hackers out there have any tricks for making
sure a GtkAccelGroup has fully initialized itself?

--ww