Re: [LAD] VST plugin

From: Luis Garrido <luisgarrido@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 09 2007 - 00:25:09 EEST

> An example may clarify things:
> with this software (or plugin or whatever it will be) I record a short
> drum sequence. When I finish recording I have on the screen an object,

Then a plugin technology, like VST or LV2 is not the most advisable
tool, IMO. Go for a stand-alone application. Linux audio architecture
is very flexible, so you can afterwards route the input/output of your
application to any place you wish.

If you want audio I/O, jack is your friend.

http://jackaudio.org

If you want MIDI I/O, then alsa-sequencer is the most popular choice.

http://www.alsa-project.org/~frank/alsa-sequencer/

> I think it would be helpful a timeline where I can drag objects and it

Then you need a GUI toolkit. GTK or Qt are the most popular and there
are supported by many languages. In general I would recommend GTK for
C projects and Qt for C++, but others may think differently.

If you want your application to routinely interact with others, you
may want to incorporate the LASH session protocol:

http://www.nongnu.org/lash/

> It may seem similar to puredata (or max/msp) for the appearance, but I
> think the purpose is different.

There are already some looping programs out there, you can get their
sourcecode to see how they are designed and implemented.

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/linux/LOOP_GROOVE_MAKERS/

> Suggestions? Critics? Insults? :\

Here you have a nice guide on asking for help, I like to check it out
myself every now and then, it helps you to organize your search for
information:

Good luck, and don't forget to share your results with the community.

HTH,

Luis

PS: for the rest of the list, isn't this basic startup info gathered
in any LAD-FAQ out there? Together with an equivalence between Linux
and Windows audio technologies it would be a good jump start for
newcomers.