[LAD] question on dynamic linking

From: nescivi <nescivi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 15:36:55 EEST

Hiho,

I am having a discussion on the supercollider front about what is the proper
way for dynamic linking.

as far as I know, you use ldconfig and have the library location that programs
dynamically link to defined in /etc/ld.so.conf

but what is supposed to happen if the user just installs the program to a
directory in his home directory?
how should the dynamic linking be defined?

esp. if the user does not have the root rights to change anything
in /etc/ld.so.conf or to run ldconfig.

I did not find anything quick on the net about this, so maybe one of you can
enlighten me what is the "proper" way of dealing with this.

sincerely,
Marije