Re: [LAD] question on dynamic linking

From: Jan Weil <Jan.Weil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 15:49:33 EEST

Hi Marije,

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 14:36 +0200, nescivi wrote:
> I am having a discussion on the supercollider front about what is the proper
> way for dynamic linking.
>
> as far as I know, you use ldconfig and have the library location that programs
> dynamically link to defined in /etc/ld.so.conf
>
> but what is supposed to happen if the user just installs the program to a
> directory in his home directory?
> how should the dynamic linking be defined?

I am not sure whether I get your question, but for testing purposes, I
mostly install software using --prefix=$HOME/local, including dynamic
libraries, which end up in $HOME/local/lib. In order to let programs in
$HOME/local/bin find these libraries, I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include
$HOME/local/lib.

Cheers,

Jan