Re: [LAD] LV2 realtime safe memory pool extension

From: Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 09 2007 - 05:47:39 EET

2007/11/9, David Olofson <david@email-addr-hidden>:
> On Friday 09 November 2007, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:
> [...]
> > > Well, not really; you could just wrap the memory manager, adding
> > > a 'manager' field to every chunk. Then you can just throw in
> > > another TLSF manager instance when you need more memory.
> > > The 'manager' field will point the free() wrapper to the correct
> > > manager instance.
> >
> > Argh!
>
> Nice, eh? ;-)

Wonderful ;-P

> [...]
> > > Maybe hack TLSF to take a "maximum address span" init argument, so
> > > you can extend the pool as needed up to that limit? You'd just
> > > allocate new blocks with malloc() and instruct the hacked TLSF to
> > > extend to the end of that block, while pre-allocating (throwing
> > > away) any holes caused by unrelated malloc()s.
> >
> > Maybe I just don't understand, but however doesn't this mean, in
> > practice, allocating all of the memory right from the start?
>
> No, you'd just construct the manager's internal structures as if you
> were going to allocate a pool of the maximum size - but you actually
> give it a smaller initial amount of memory.
>
> Provided the allocator actually *works* without a fully populated pool
> (I'm not sure about that...), this would allow new memory blocks to
> added to the pool later, as long as they're within the address range
> defined by the start of the pool and the "maximum address span" that
> the allocator was initialized for.

Ah ok, but that would mean being sure that the new pool will be
contiguous to the first one. Then, if TLSF works as I remember, you
would have to either rearrange the bitamp (which could bring to a big
amount of fragmentation too) or have the second bitmap logically
equivalent to the first, and that is in practice what I was
suggesting, except for the contiguity.

> running,
> > >
> > > Yes, that's why you can't realloc() the pool. You really have to
> > > add new blocks of memory to it.
> >
> > Mmmm... in my opinion someone could contact the TLSF authors and see
> > what can be done.
>
> Yeah, or just read the code (again), for starters.

:-)

> (I started hacking an RT memory manager for EEL, then found and
> studied TLSF a bit, but that must have been one or two years ago...
> Got away with a small RTAI kernel driver + "firm" real time scripting
> for that application, and then I've been working on other stuff.)

Cool :-)

> > I was thinking that when the memory is "near to saturation", the
> > allocator could malloc() a new pool whose size is equal to that of
> > the first pool (maybe using a background thread) so that the bitmap
> > for the new pool is actually the same.
>
> As I understand it, the bitmap represents the current state of the
> pool, so if you allocate a new pool, you'd need a new bitmap to go
> with it, or weird things will happen.

Yep.

> > Now the address resolving algorithm
> > should know in some way that the first pool is full for blocks of
> > that size or bigger, so the adress should be resolved in the second
> > pool, and so on.
>
> Wiring additional pools to the out-of-memory condition indeed avoids
> overhead when dealing with the initial pool, but it multiplies
> overhead when you need to deal with additional pools instead.

Yes, some clever trick should be found. :-)
Maybe one could make use some trick based on the particular geometry
of TLSF pools and relative bitmaps.

> Also, how do you know where a free()d block belongs? Checking the
> address against each pool isn't exactly efficient, but perhaps no
> disaster for small number of pools...

This is a problem as well :-\

[heresy mode on]
Maybe change values passed to/returned from the allocation/deallocation calls?
[heresy mode off]

> Basically, without somehow piggy-backing on the existing logic of
> TLSF, I have a hard time seeing how you could get away with less
> overhead than the "wrapped manager" solution I first suggested.
> (That "only" adds one pointer per allocated block, and an extra level
> of indirection to use the right manager. Not great, but at least it's
> simple, lets you add pools of any size, and scales to any number of
> pools.)

It's just that I'm a bit a "purist", however I do agree that maybe
your suggestion could solve the problem, at least until someone goes
deep into TLSF logic.

> > This is just a thought... I never really wrote or worked on an
> > allocator :-)
>
> I did, but only enough to realize that coming up with something really
> nice and efficient is a lot of work. :-)

Of course... but also a nice challenging task (which could let you go
insane) :-)

> > Anyway, getting back to the initial question, I think that we should
> > have two separate extensions, one for RT fixed size allocators and
> > one for "real" RT-safe allocators.
>
> Yes, that probably does make sense after all, considering that it's
> quite likely that a lot of plugins will deal only with a small number
> of different block sizes, and the fact that a "real" RT allocator
> (even a really good one) has quite a bit more overhead than a simple
> LIFO pool.

Fine :-) However I would like to hear something from some plugin developer too.

Stefano