Re: [LAD] LV2 units extension

From: Steve Harris <steve@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 15:12:59 EET

On 14 Nov 2007, at 13:00, Krzysztof Foltman wrote:

> Lars Luthman wrote:
>> There is a Units extension that can be used to define units for ports
>> (linked from the spec page, I think) and the core spec has
>> scalePoints,
>> which allows plugins to define labeled port values (e.g. "0 dB" for
>> the
>> multiplier value 1.0 on a simple gain plugin).
>>
> The extension looks very good, but I would recommend adding two
> important units - semitone and cent (in case anyone doesn't know, a
> cent
> = 1/100 of a semitone). Semitones - useful for osc transpose in
> synths,
> as well as shift amount in pitch shift modules. Cents - useful for
> relative detune in synths. I think those are much more common than,
> say,
> miles :)

Good idea - I'll add that to me ever-growing TODO list :-/

The mian idea was to allow hosts to provided dedicated input widgets
for eg. dB, but it was also intended to allow hosts to do automatic
conversion between plugins - eg. two different delays that measure
time in ms or s. Though maybe that's a bit farfetched.

- Steve