Re: [LAD] LV2 format stuff

From: Lars Luthman <lars.luthman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 15:14:24 EET

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 12:43 +0000, Krzysztof Foltman wrote:
> David Olofson wrote:
> > Makes sense to me. An "icon" like this is basically just a small GUI
> > that doesn't take any user input. (Well, it *could*, but shouldn't
> > rely on it, as a host really using it as an icon probably wouldn't
> > care to let it have any input events...)
> >
> It could. I'm thinking of more and more examples of use of it:
>
> - amplifier where you can set the amplification factor by just clicking
> and dragging on the knob, without opening a full-blown GUI window
> - waveshaper which displays the current shaping table (so that you know
> on a first glance what kind of shaping is going on)
> - envelope icon that displays the actual current envelope shape, not
> just a generic ADSR icon :)
> - a two-input toggle switch (A/B) which displays which state it's in,
> and allows toggling by clicking on the state icon

These types of "mini-GUIs" could certainly be useful. My point was that
there is no need for a separate "icon GUI" extension, something like
that pretty much requires a complete widget library to be really useful
anyway and the GTK+ extension already supports multiple GUIs per plugin
and embedding them on a canvas or in its own window or anywhere the host
wants it. The only thing needed to distinguish between small "icon" GUIs
and large "editor" GUIs would be some sort of annotation in the RDF data
(that hosts would be free to ignore if they wanted to).

--ll