Re: [LAD] JACK & MIDI

From: Dave Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 17 2008 - 22:39:50 EET

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 17:41 +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 05:02:35PM +0100, Pieter Palmers wrote:
>
> > I guess you will agree if I state that it would have been better if you
> > performed this though experiment while the API was still in a volatile
> > stage. But that observation doesn't help us, so let's not go down that
> > path. (FWIW I didn't think about the jack-midi API either back then...)
>
> Well, IIRC, I did raise my voice then, saying it was a pity
> that it was actually MIDI that was being implemented, with all
> its limitations, and not some extended format that midi could
> be trivially and losslessly translated to, using e.g. 32-bit
> controller numbers, and floating point note numbers and
> controller values.

What it /really/ should be is a generic event transport mechanism (only
arbitrary FonsControls(TM) is just as bad as only arbitrary MIDI, and
jack doesn't need to care what the actual events are whatsoever).

I proposed this - in patch form - to the jack list ages ago and it was
shot down. I don't recall there ever being a legitimate "why".

-DR-