Re: [LAD] JACK & MIDI

From: Dave Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 19:45:20 EET

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 14:27 +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 02:07:26PM +0100, Albert Graef wrote:
>
> > Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > > Seriously, there are three things that I profoundly dislike in MIDI.
> > >
> > > 1. The limited precision of almost all values, 7 bits or 14 with a
> > > kludge (but even this kludge is not available in any standard
> > > way for e.g. individual note frequencies).
> >
> > Agreed. The MIDI Tuning Standard (MTS) was invented to fix that, but it
> > doesn't really help with the "12 notes per octave" limitation and, being
> > sysex, isn't really realtime, so it wouldn't be suitable to tune Aeolus
> > on the fly anyway.
>
> The limits I referred to don't affect Aeolus, except that there's
> no MIDI concept of 'stops' or anything near to it.
>
> They affect anyone who wants to use sequencing tools and/or soft synths,
> while not being limited by MIDI's 'culturally challenged' idea what music
> is or could be.
>
> Retuning Aeolus is very non-real-time operation anyway, and currently
> Aeolus doesn't accept MTS.

This is why Jack MIDI is being used by people despite the limitations.
Everyone /knows/ about them, they just don't care about huge sysex dumps
(etc) for what they're doing - namely realtime control (notes and CC and
such), what Jack MIDI was designed for.

I for one would love to see a Jack MIDI version (and doubt I'm alone),
Aeolus is great. Don't let these issues stop you if they don't
immediately matter, they'll get fixed eventually...

-DR-