Re: [LAD] alsa and OSS (again?)

From: Albert Graef <Dr.Graef@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 22:20:55 EET

Dave Phillips wrote:
> You can look at Albert's patches to see what he fixed that enabled a
> clean compile.

Well, besides the lack of 64 bit support, what makes Midishare so hard
to compile and install on Linux right now, is mostly related to getting
the Midishare kernel module to work on different iterations of the 2.6.x
kernel, as the kernel API is still a moving target (which certainly
isn't Grame's fault). It would likely be much easier if the kernel
module could be replaced by a user space driver, but support for that in
the 2.6 kernel is relatively new and noone has looked into that yet.

Another issue, also related to the kernel module, is that the necessary
init.d logic and kernel devices support (udev et al) varies among
different distros, and sometimes even between different minor versions
of the same distro. Unfortunately, autoconf doesn't help with that. When
this stuff finally settles, it will be much easier to create a Midishare
version for Linux which just works out of the box. This problem is not
in any way unique to Midishare, just look at the mess with graphics and
wireless drivers. You just don't notice it as much as these are usually
already included in your distro.

Dave, I can't help you right now with getting Midishare to work on 64
bit system, but if you're willing to run it on 32 bit I'll try to help
you getting it compiled. Just drop me an email.

Best,
Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany