Re: [LAD] alsa and OSS (again?)

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 05:04:54 EET

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 16:18 -0500, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

> In other words, provided that my conjectures are true, I could see ALSA
> becoming simply an API to access the soundcard and everything else being
> moved out of the ALSA which IMHO could help spur some of the ostensibly
> bogged down aspects of Linux audio experience.

I think this is entirely accurate. the distributions and other "desktop"
organizations are tired of ALSA as "the solution", and are embracing
PulseAudio and various similar efforts/wrappers (e.g. Phonon on KDE).
ALSA is going to vanish as an API for all but those developers who don't
know how to use google. Pulse even has plans to "replace" JACK one day,
but its lead author fully understands the challenge there.

--p