Re: [LAD] Prototyping algorithms and ideas

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 24 2008 - 13:28:45 EET

Darren Landrum:

> Okay, I'll see if I can make up for my awful post from before with a
> constructive question.
>
> If you wanted to quickly prototype an idea for a DSP routine, how would
> you go about it? It would need to work in real-time, but it wouldn't
> really need to be super-efficient for testing ideas.
>
> Thank you for the help.

For quick and interactive, imperative or functional,
realtime or non-realtime, development of dsp routines,
clm is your choice:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/clm/

and in realtime:
http://www.notam02.no/arkiv/doc/snd-rt/

Lots of example code:
http://snd.cvs.sourceforge.net/snd/cvs-snd/clm-ins.scm?view=log
http://snd.cvs.sourceforge.net/snd/cvs-snd/animals.scm?view=log
http://snd.cvs.sourceforge.net/snd/cvs-snd/dsp.scm?view=log
+ many other files.

If you don't need tight feedback loops (As Albert calls it),
you might want to look at pd, csound, supercollider, etc. instead.

If you _really_ like functional programming and aren't
afraid to learn a really different syntax, faust might probably
be a very good alternative. I don't think you'll get the kind of tight
interactive development environment with it as the other systems
though. ie. you have to write code, compile up, run test, etc.,
while in the other systems, you can just write code and test directly.