Re: [LAD] Prototyping algorithms and ideas

From: Darren Landrum <darren.landrum@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 24 2008 - 18:36:28 EET

Stephen Sinclair wrote:
>>> If you wanted to quickly prototype an idea for a DSP routine, how would
>>> you go about it? It would need to work in real-time, but it wouldn't
>>> really need to be super-efficient for testing ideas.
>
> Since everyone else is having a go, I guess this is the thread to
> mention Chuck...
> http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/
>
> Real-time programming for those who decided patch cords "aren't for them". ;-)
> Also, nice in the fact that you can do per-sample computations easily,
> if you need to, but it's not required.
> Oh, the options you now have...!

I am certainly NOT lacking for options. I've actually played around with
chuck before, too.

So far, the ones holding my interest the most are CLAM and Faust. CLAM
because it has a graphical editor, and Faust because, well, not only can
it prototype, but its output can be used in the final code, too. I also
like the functional aspect of it, I can think more like a mathematician. :)

Thank you all for the replies.

-- Darren