Re: [LAD] [OT] LinuxSampler and GPL - some clarifications

From: Dennis Schulmeister <linux-audio-dev@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 27 2008 - 17:44:04 EET

> Can you install a different sw on your router which uses GPLed
> software? No.

Yes you can. That's what I did with my router. I replaced the Linux
based firmware with a community developed firmware which is based on
Linux, too. Although the manufacturer doesn't support it.

There has been a lot of hardware where GPLed firmware is a substantial
part of the product. Those include the aforementioned Internet routers
but also navigation systems, professional mixing consoles or even
synthesizers. (e.g. Yamaha's Motif XS).

As long as the manufacturer provides the source of all GPLed software
there's nothing wrong with that. Neither with GPL 2 nor GPL 3.

But your argument is not invalid at all. In deed it's the reason why the
so called Tivo clause was included into the GPL 3. It disallows
manufacturers to prevent users to replace GPLed software on the device
with other software.

This is what the FSF has to say about it
(http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html):

> We update the GPL to protect its copyleft from being undermined by
> legal or technological developments. The most recent version protects
> users from three recent threats:
>
> * Tivoization: Some companies have created various different kinds of
> devices that run GPLed software, and then rigged the hardware so
> that they can change the software that's running, but you cannot.
> If a device can run arbitrary software, it's a general-purpose
> computer, and its owner should control what it does. When a device
> thwarts you from doing that, we call that tivoization.

Yours sincerely,
Dennis Schulmeister

--
Dennis Schulmeister - Schifferstr. 1 - 76189 Karlsruhe - Germany
Tel: +49 721/5978883 - Mob: +49 152/01994400 - eMail: dennis@email-addr-hidden