Re: [LAD] [OT] LinuxSampler and GPL - some clarifications

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 17:59:58 EET

Hallo,
Marek hat gesagt: // Marek wrote:

> Here's one definition of distribute:To divide among several or many;
> to deal out; to
> apportion; to allot.
>
> Let' have an example:
>
> If i take ardour, throw out everything GUI related plus a couple of
> other things, make some modifications in order to
> make it work with a custom front panel with a couple of hardware
> buttons, a couple of hardware sliders and a lcd panel in order to
> build a 16 track rack based recorder,
> and make the sources free, would call this distributing ardour?

Of course: Then I distribute a modified version of Ardour. As long as
the rest of the GPL is fullfilled (sources available etc.) this is
perfectly fine and covered by the GPL. It doesn't matter that I chose
a very expensive means of distributing Ardour (stored inside of a full
keyboard) and not just a floppy disk: I am still distributing copies
of (a modified) Ardour here.

It has already been said: Tens of thousands of W-LAN routers in the
world do exactly this, and to my knowledge none of the vendors was
ever accused of breaking the GPL because they took money - the were
indicted only because they didn't provide source code as required by
the GPL.

Ciao