Re: [LAD] Fwd: LS licensing (was: LV2 " isn't well thought out ?" LV2 in the Reaper sequencer)

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 16:56:08 EET

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 17:28 +0300, alex stone wrote:
> Paul,
> I'll be the first to admit i know little about Pulseaudio, and what it
> can do. And i mean no offence or dismissal of Alsa and it's role.
> So where will Pulse Audio take us in the future? Jack's been
> outstanding for me, and as a means of porting and moving audio, and i
> hope midi around, i've never found better. My...'enthusiasm ' is based
> on my experiences so far with Jack and Jackdmp, and they are good.
> Frankly, they've been a delight to use, and make the working day a
> great deal more pleasant, and less hassle.
> What will Pulseaudio do that will make the process of using audio and
> midi easier and more efficient?

PulseAudio is an infrastructure for doing lots of things with audio that
JACK doesn't touch. Its primarily aimed at non-pro-audio/music
applications. It is there to try to solve the mess caused by the number
of different APIs for audio on Linux. At this time, it doesn't offer
what JACK offers (and it may never do that). If you are a
pro-audio/music oriented user, PulseAudio itself is not going to be of
much interest.