Re: [LAD] Prototyping algorithms and ideas

From: Georg Holzmann <grh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 20:16:46 EET

Hallo!

>> - a delay line,
>> - allowing high-quality fractional-sample delays,
>> - at least 12 outputs, for each two controls: delay, gain,
>> - smooth 'crossfading' between two control sets, both delay
>> and gain, controlled by a GUI or by OSC.
>>
>> It should not take more than 20% CPU on a 2G P4
>> (other things have to run at the same time).
>> If you know how to get this faster than by actually
>> writing it in C++, please let me know !
>
> I think, Pd is faster to write such a thing. A version is attached. I
> omitted the crossfading and OSC control as that requires some
> externals or abstractions. But it's not hard to do as well.

In pd (or other rt-alternatives) you do that in 5 minutes and in C/C++
you need a day or more ...

So the most important lesson I had to learn when prototyping
algorithms+ideas: don't use C or C++ ! Only if there is really no other
solution (which is not often the case) !
And don't think about optimization too early ... ;)

BTW: I'm using python (scipy/numpy) for algorithm prototyping (sometimes
I have to use octave/matlab, because its somehow a "standard" in
DSP-world) and for writing/testing realtime algorithms pure data.

LG
Georg