Re: [LAD] Prototyping algorithms and ideas

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 00:00:32 EET

Fons Adriaensen:

>> On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 23:36 +0100, Yann Orlarey wrote:
>>
>>> A fully functional jack application can be easily generated using the
>>> faust2jack command or by pasting the above code in the online faust
>>> compiler (http://faust.grame.fr). The performances on my Vaio laptop
>>> (Intel Core 2 CPU T7400 @ 2.16GHz) is approximately of 2%.
>>
>> I think they call that "game, set and match".
>
> Not really, but still I'm impressed :-)
>
> - Even fdelay4 is not up to the task. There are
> gain variations of more than 6dB for a 20 kHz
> signal, Fs = 48 kHz. Even stranger, they are
> not symmetric w.r.t. the fraction of the delay,
> e.g. 10.3 samples shows a different gain than
> 9.7. Which makes me suspicious.
>
> - My usual grunge: unless you want me accidentally
> destroy some very expensive equipment which is not
> even mine, the generated JACK apps
>
> MUST NOT AUTOCONNECT --- NEVER --- TO ANYTHING.

We discussed this two years ago. I both respect and understand
your reasons to take your position on this issue, but I still
strongly disagree with you, and I also think its a bit sad
that you use such strong wording about an issue which there
clearly are two different views upon. Its also sad if you
destroy your equipment, but you are actually
yourself to blame if it happens.

And just to repeat my position: Unless someone can make
it probable that most people prefer jack applications not
to autoconnect by default, all jack programs should
autoconnect by default.

Anyway, this is a jack-dev issue, and there are various
ways to fix the jack server so that it will be possible
to turn off autoconnect [1] for those who prefer so.

However, you (the non-autoconnect people) must push this new
API or functionality into jack, because the rest of us are
satisfied with the current situation where almost all jack
clients autoconnect by default, and therefore its unlikely
for us to find the motivation to push this.

[1] One simple hack you can do is simply just to create some
     new dummy ports and set those as being the system default
     instead of the real system default.
     That hack shouldn't take more than a few hours to
     implement. If you feel so strongly about this issue,
     you should make such a modification to jack.
     Note, this is just a hack to fix the problem temorarily,
     not a long-term solution.