Re: [LAD] Prototyping algorithms and ideas

From: Wolfgang Woehl <tito@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 19:39:56 EET

Donnerstag, 31. Januar 2008 Fons Adriaensen:

> One bad example, sadly, is Ardour. Even if I remove
> the auditioner ports and save the session they come
> back and autoconnect to my power amps (*) next time
> the session is loaded.

Seems to be an assumption buglet. Dangerous indeed.

qjackctl's patchbay lets you work around these surprises:

Define a patchbay profile that has your physical sinks marked as
exclusive. No more clients autoconnect.
Connect your central jack mixer socket to that exclusive physical
socket.
Add more sockets for ardour, alsaplayer, mplayer ... and connect all
those to your central mixer or whatever mechanism you have in place.

Patchbay "documentation" is on http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/19

I think the concept is pretty neat and maybe the frugality of this
very documentation has prevented (audio) distros from embracing it
more. Throw in oss bridging, a set of default audio applications as
mixer channels and as sockets in the patchbay ... The one central
audio mixer people are longing for? It's right there.

> going to run to the racks, and turn down 16
> level in once case, 176 in the other, to be on

192 amp lines? What are you up to :)

Wolfgang