Re: [LAD] Prototyping algorithms and ideas

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 01 2008 - 20:52:44 EET

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Albert Graef wrote:

> Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> > The last sentence was extremely bad formulated. I ment that
> > the syntax for accessing faust needs to be different, because
> > programming in snd is s-expressions based.
>
> So what you need is an unparser for s-expressions that produces Faust's
> infix syntax, this shouldn't be hard.

Exactly. Thats easy. My "unparser" for C also interprets
strings as C code, which can also be done for faust code,
so that way you also have a way to get full power from
the destination language.

> > This whole operation shouldn't take more than a few ms.
>
> Hmm, the Faust compiler needs its time, as does the C++ compiler. I
> don't think that you can achieve that right now.

Ouch. I thought the Faust compiler was quite fast? (I've just
used the online compiler)
And I didn't think about C++. How much time does
the faust compilation and c++ compilation take?
More than 1 second on a fairly modern machine?
But even if its many seconds, I think its worth doing. :-)