Re: [LAD] [EPAMP] an effect plugin API for media players: anyone interested?

From: Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 02 2008 - 13:20:35 EEST

Hi Fons,

2008/6/2 Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>:
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 07:22:02PM +0200, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:
>
>> http://naspro.atheme.org/content/epamp-draft-1
>
> I've been (and still am) quite critical of LV2. But reading
> this draft I'm inclined to forgive the LV2 developers all
> their sins and offer them an unlimited supply of Amarone,
> which is one of Italy's best and most expensive red wines.
>

>> lack of interest to accomodate the particular needs of
>> this niche by most standardized sound processing API
>> authors;
>
> Maybe you could start by stating what those particular
> needs are.

I already roughed out some on this mailing list.

> I could write out a long list of what is wrong with and
> missing from this spec, but I'm currently not inclined
> to do so. But one absolute killer is:
>
>> Number of interleaved input (and hence output) channels.
>
> What on earth makes you think that the number of inputs
> and outputs should be the same ?

Read this and think a little bit about it:

   The API has been designed around the typical use case where a generic audio
   source is processed in a series of subsequent stages (chain-like fashion,
   informally speaking) and then sent to a generic audio output.

In this kind of applications sound processing is a marginal task,
while encoding/decoding are not (and doing some work on audacious has
made that quite clear to me). It's way better to keep those things
separated IMO.

Non prendertela a male e buona festa della repubblica,

Stefano