Re: [LAD] [EPAMP] an effect plugin API for media players: anyone interested?

From: Georg Holzmann <grh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 02 2008 - 17:54:47 EEST

Hallo!

>> However, if we wish that many media players will support an effect plugin
>> API, then an easy to use library must be implemented and well distributed,
>> which supports all needed lv2 extensions you want, so that writing an LV2
>> hosts becomes a really easy thing.
>
> It's not that simple IMHO, but I'm absolutely open to discussion.

Of course it's not simple, but there exist already the slv2 library
(sorry if you know it already):
http://wiki.drobilla.net/SLV2

Lars Luthman made also a nice C++ wrapper, so that writing plugins is
really easy:
http://ll-plugins.nongnu.org/lv2pftci

Some weeks ago there was also a discussion on how to make general GUIs
which work also in non-GTK hosts (see the thread: [LAU] Ideas for LV2).

Such helper-tools are needed IMHO and of course they should also run
cross platform and support different compilers ...

>> So I appreciate very much your attempt for creating a common, easy to use
>> API. However, IMHO the answer should be to extended and distribute LV2 so
>> that it supports all your needs - then all efforts would be combined ...
>
> If LV2 authors seriously want to do that, I'm more than willing to
> kill EPAMP and cooperate with them.

I guess they appreciate very much any contribution - they are only a
little bit grumpy if someone proposes a new plugin API ... ;)

> In fact most media players just have mono and stereo output and they
> can't do more complicated spatialization even with external LV2
> plugins (if they were supported).

Yes, but if these plugins would be easy to use, then it would be a real
killer feature for every media player ... :)

LG
Georg