Re: [LAD] Writing a library?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 23 2008 - 16:02:35 EEST

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 08:41 -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> I'd strongly suggest you consider learning C if you want to maximize
> other people using your library. If you write the library in C++ it
> will be hard for anyone but C++ users to use it. If you write it in
> straight C, or at least expose a plain C interface, it will be
> trivial to use for C users, C++ users, Objective C users, Python
> users, Smalltalk users and some scheme and lisp users, and I'm sure
> I'm missing other languages that can interface with C easily.

good advice.

> Also, I suggest that you learn how to use a lex program like Flex.
> You could also possibly use a parser generator, something like yacc/
> bison on top of that. The time spent learning flex will be time very
> well spent and the time spent learning it will probably pay itself
> back immediately as your write your tokenizer. There are quite a few
> good free lex and/or yacc guides available, often on university web
> sites.

in my experience, not so good advice. lexer+parser generators are great
for certain kinds of things, actually more like indispensable. but for
parsing audio files, they really are not very well suited for the task.
these are binary files with no real semantic structure other than
"chunks". i have no doubt that you could use them, but erik de castro
lopo didn't for libsndfile and thats good enough for me :)

--p