Re: [LAD] OT: alternative fuel for cars [was: Re: Car engine sound emulation for future electic cars. ideas ?]

From: Stéphane Letz <letz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 05 2008 - 13:59:43 EEST

Le 5 août 08 à 12:28, Patrick Shirkey a écrit :

> On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 13:09 +0300, Sampo Savolainen wrote:
>> Quoting Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>:
>>
>>> Ouch. The blog is just keeping track of recent developments that
>>> have
>>> been made that use water as a source of fuel.
>>>
>>> You're right that hydrogen is the actual power source but as
>>> hydrogen is
>>> very nicely and efficiently compressed into water it make sense
>>> to call
>>> water a fuel.
>>>
>>> If you look through the archives you will see that there are people
>>> running motors with water. Straight out of a bottle and run
>>> through this
>>> new circuit that you label childish with enough power to charge a
>>> piston
>>> and spin a rotor.
>>
>> What bothered me about these experiments that there was absolutely no
>> description of what they were doing.
>>
>> You've been able to run cars on hydrogen for decades:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjfONpsFvyM
>

> According to one resource the first ever piston engine was run on
> hydrogen as oil hadn't been discovered when it was built back in
> the 17
> hundreds. I haven't verified this claim though it does seem plausible.
>
> There were also perfectly good electric cars manufactured by ford
> in the
> 1920's that were eventually taken out of production apparently because
> there wasn't enough demand.
>

>> "Enough power to charge a piston and spin a rotor"? Where is that
>> power
>> coming from exactly? If you use water as the fuel, you need an
>> alternative
>> energy source to extract the oxygen and hydrogen. By the laws of
>> thermophysics, you will need _more_ energy to do the extraction
>> than what
>> you will get from burning the hydrogen (as burning hydrogen is the
>> exact
>> opposite reaction).
>>
>> If they would actually be using water as a fuel for an internal
>> combustion
>> engine - they would have invented a perpetual motion device as
>> their exhaust
>> would be the same stuff as their fuel. And we all know that's not
>> possible,
>> right?
>
> No one is claiming the over unity prize yet. What they have found is a
> way to instantly split a water atom and burn the hydrogen at the same
> time. It's clearly a very revolutionary concept and appears at first
> glance to go against the 2nd law of physics. But there is more to it
> than that and the details are only just emerging. However several
> people
> have claimed they understand what is going on and that it is perfectly
> within the laws. I'm not at that point yet but I will make a concerted
> effort to understand it so that I can post it on the blog to save
> others
> [...]

"Yet another miracle solution for the energy problem that nodoby ever
found before or maybe *they* already found but just kept it
secret..." that obviously contradict the " 2nd law of physics."... or
maybe even another one??

Are you sure this "stupid" OT discussion should be continued on this
list?

Stephane