Re: [LAD] [OT] vector drawing software

From: Justin Smith <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 07 2008 - 21:13:25 EEST

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:03 PM, nescivi <nescivi@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Thursday 07 August 2008 13:58:33 Justin Smith wrote:
>> > Actually, I am looking for some 3D software for drawing 3D structures.
>> > Eventual output format needed is STL...
>> >
>> > sincerely,
>> > Marije
>>
>> http://www.ualberta.ca/~cwant/blender/stl.py is a plugin to export STL
>> from blender, which is a great environment for modeling 3d, once you
>> get over the learning curve.
>> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro is a good
>> wikibook tutorial, that happens to cover modeling in the first hundred
>> pages or so of the beginner volume.
>
> thanks for the link.
> At first sight it seems more geared to 3D modelling for animation graphics,
> rather than for making realworld objects.
> I need to model some things in order to "print" them on a rapid prototyping
> machine...
> Is Blender a suitable candidate for that?

If the STL exporter works, the blender modeling environment can be
used without paying any attention to the animation features or the
texturing, lights, camera etc. I recommend using a full keyboard with
a numpad, and a track ball mouse with at least three buttons for it to
be really usable. Most of what that introductory tutorial covers is
manipulating 3d mesh objects, which is what I presume you would want
to export for a 3d printer. I could be wrong, but I think blender will
work for what you want, and if it does not, I don't think there is any
other interactive 3d program for Linux that does what you want (maybe
open inventor?).