Re: [LAD] need help with Java audio problem

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 10:54:21 EEST

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 02:32 +0200, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 16:06 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > ... If Java uses the ALSA device,
> > for some reason it opens pcmC0D0p, then switches to pcmC1D0p. This
> > happens in both HighC and jein, they showed the same behavior. My
> > "problem" was that I didn't have any speakers connected to card1
> > (because I use it only for its MIDI ports; card0 is a Delta 66), and as
> > soon as I connected some speakers I could hear the sound. Doh...
> >
> > But why is Java switching devices ? Where does it get the message that
> > it should do so ?
>
> Ahh! Now I begin to understand why the sound demoes in Java3D were so
> silent when I tried to run them here :-D
>
> I would would believe it notices that the delta66 midi does not exist
> and therefore card0 as a whole is considered incomplete compared to the
> "superior" card1

I have seen this happen before (a long time ago). My only explanation at
the time was that the software did not like the fact that the Delta 66
did not have a "standard" mixer it could control. It liked better the
stereo onboard card had and switched cards - and of course that was the
card I did not want to use...

The only (fuzzily remembered) workaround possible was disabling access
to oss for the second card. I think that worked...

-- Fernando