[LAD] Intel HDA Six-stack + Two

From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 05:25:34 EEST

I've now finally gotten an Analog Devices ad1988B with six in and ten
out + digital - all in glorious 24bit/192K, which I find mighty
impressive for an onboard three dollar chip. The sources for alsa-1.14
were included on the CD that came with the (Asus) box, and this is also
what I am using now.

The driver has fixes and workarounds for various note-book
configurations with built in speakers and microphones as well as various
numbers of physical multi-purpose ports that connects to the outside
world. Unfortunately nobody thought of the possibility of a vendor wild
enough to actually simultaniously implemement /everything/ this chip has
to offer.

Surround 7.1 on the "six-stack" on the backside is supported by alsa,
but appears to then replicate the "surround front" to the headphone
socket on the physical front panel which may or may not be what you
expected. Getting skype and friends out of the mix - perhaps even on its
own little /dev/dsp1 for closed source legacy? - would in my opinion
have been more like it.

Any ideas how to solve this? There is no such ugly invention as
"surround 9.1" nor "surround 7.1+2" as of yet ... But that could of
course be changed :-)

I have some other minor issues as well, like the headphone amp being
activated on the backpanel port labelled "line" but not on the
frontpanel jack labelled "headphones" ... But those appears to be
comparatively trivial to fix by comparing to how all the other special
case configurations are implemented.