Re: [LAD] need help with Java audio problem

From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 03:32:45 EEST

On Sun, 2008-08-17 at 16:06 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> ... If Java uses the ALSA device,
> for some reason it opens pcmC0D0p, then switches to pcmC1D0p. This
> happens in both HighC and jein, they showed the same behavior. My
> "problem" was that I didn't have any speakers connected to card1
> (because I use it only for its MIDI ports; card0 is a Delta 66), and as
> soon as I connected some speakers I could hear the sound. Doh...
>
> But why is Java switching devices ? Where does it get the message that
> it should do so ?

Ahh! Now I begin to understand why the sound demoes in Java3D were so
silent when I tried to run them here :-D

I would would believe it notices that the delta66 midi does not exist
and therefore card0 as a whole is considered incomplete compared to the
"superior" card1

Apparently the OSS implementation was written on another day by someone
else with a different strategy.

Long shot: Perhaps it could be possible to symlink around the issue, so
that Java believes the midi I/O from card1 belongs to card0?