[LAD] Getting the most out of onboard HDA

From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 21:28:55 EEST

Assuming a 7.1/192K/24bit $3:- chip onboard ... What next?

First I will say, it actually will do the planned send and return
to/from the two pieces of stereo outboard equipment I have (that is not
going anywhere,) as well as do separate headphones and monitors. So I
should be a happy camper ...

Suppose one was to face the real world of playing live again? In my
experience this can be a torturous venture into the realms of cheap
lights and the evil thyristors and diacs of this world, all trying to
make their voices heard through my equipment ...

So, how about turning a single unbalanced stereo jack into a single
balanced mono jack by converting a single mono signal to a stereo signal
with inverted phase, would that be a good idea? If so, I believe this
might work in a simalar way on microphone input as well.

If the above holds and we then have two (instead of one) DAC's working
push/pull on the line, would it be possible to take advantage of this?

What I have in mind here is that, the lower you get in the "bittiness",
the more the systenatic errors of distortion will be apparent.

For starters, how about having one the phases at a level slightly below
the other? This should ideally trigger transisitions between absolute
levels at slightly different times for the two phases, giving us an
extra 6dB of useable headroom.

mvh // Jens M Andreasen