Re: [LAD] linuxaudio.org

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 27 2008 - 05:39:03 EET

Robin Gareus wrote:

>>> * http://lau.linuxaudio.org and http://quicktoots.linuxaudio.org/
>>> probably remain as is. There are a lot of hidden resources there! -
>>> Maybe some minor updates on the front-page. point to the wiki or portal.
>>>
>> Ah yes, the fragmentation. _Hidden_ resources are great for Indiana
>> Jones style explorers, I guess? ;)
>> I would rather drop old material to have a chance of introducing
>> something structured, where a newcomer would know where to start and had
>> a chance of finding stuff without using a pit lamp.
>>

> Well, we won't delete anything ;) We can mark it as "outdated" (or move
> it to legacy.linuxaudio.org) and encourage Mr Jones to tag/link
> interesting resource there from the wiki. Content that's worth updating
> can be refreshed or imported..

da, da,da, daaaa....

Are these are the subdomains that you are referring to?

http://lau.linuxaudio.org
http://lowlatency.linuxaudio.org
http://quicktoots.linuxaudio.org

They are all linked to from the portal page and have fairly simple
structures.

lau.

- This page was designed to be very simple and provide a non threatening
or overwhelming way in for non technical uses or n00bs. If someone has
suggestions for how to make it even easier for the target reader then
please let me know. I'll see if I can find some time to add a more
obvious link to linuxaudio.org throughout all the documents. Probably
just add a new header/footer, parse the html before loading the page and
dump it into a div. Can't be bothered reworking all the existing pages.

lowlatency.

- If anyone has a suggestion for making the lowlatency page more user
friendly then please let me know. I'm more than happy to fine tune it.
The last time anyone bothered to make a suggestion was at least two
years ago. I guess that means the existing page either provides all the
necessary information or else no one uses it. Probably the latter
because the information has already been assimilated by several distro
tutorials and wikis.

I'll start a new thread to get a round up on the latest knowledge to be
added to the page.

One thing that might be useful is an rss feed with the latest updates.
Not sure exactly how it should be managed though... It may also distract
attention from the list/s which is where a lot of announcements are
currently made.

quicktoots.

- The basic design and layout of the quicktoots is not going to change
anytime soon. However if someone wants to submit a new tutorial the
space is always open. Of course if someone also wants to make a new skin
then that would be nice too. It's easy to add code for several skins to
be displayed randomly or otherwise.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.