Re: [LAD] MIDI monitor

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Nov 01 2008 - 00:26:49 EET

Hi Pedro :)

> Nobody has answered yet?

yep, thank you for your reply.

>> I'm new to the list and I'm not a Linux audio developer. I was a coder
>> for C64 MIDI and audio, programming in Assembler, I have less knowledge
>> about C/C++.
>>
>> Because I have to do some research, e.g. because of strange behaviour of
>> MTC, I need a MIDI monitor, that shows MIDI bytes instead of an
>> interpretation of the MIDI events, like it's done by gmidimonitor and
>> kmidimon.
>>

> You can try the utility "amidi" (from the alsa-utils package) with the --dump
> option. See http://www.linuxmanpages.com/man1/amidi.1.php

Okay, this seems not to include information about any timer, but I could
compare it with the information from Kmidimon, that will be okay.

>> Can anybody help me to get such a MIDI monitor, maybe by simply writing me
>> how to compile the rwamidi example?
>>

> edit the source, change the line:
> #include "../include/asoundlib.h"
> by
> #include <alsa/asoundlib.h>
>
> compile it with this command:
>
> $ gcc -o rawmidi -lasound rawmidi.c
>
> You need the -devel version of the alsa library package installed first, and
> the GCC compiler.

If I will add a dump, maybe buy using an array and if I will include
some timer information, do I have to include any other headers?

I think I can add some program code myself, that might be not good, but
good enough for my needs and maybe a step to bear down my concerns about
C/C++ and the structure of Linux.

I have to admit that I don't like Linux for audio very much, but because
it seems to be the only FOSS OS that seriously can do audio, I have no
choice, I have to use it. I more less like closed source codes and
expensive or cracked software for audio, so I have to become more
familiar with Linux, if I like to do this or not.

;)

Thanx again,
Ralf