Re: [LAD] JACK for openSUSE 11.0 x86_64

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Dec 16 2008 - 17:40:56 EET

Thomas Kuther wrote:
> On Di, 16.12.08 06:12 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:
>

>> What I'm thinking of, isn't to erase any package, but I hope I used
>> the replace option not correct and that it will be possible to
>> replace jack2 libs by jack libs, or if I like to get jack2 installed
>> correctly, this hopefully will also be fine, if I know how to use the
>> replace options in the right way. And I won't forget to run ldconfig.
>>

> I would definately clean it up. So, to sum up the "how to do this"..
>
> 1) Get rid of jack2 (that's jackdmp I guess)

Yes, jackdmp now is called jack2 (from the sight of a user like me).
Perhaps I should test jack2 too (one day).

> # rpm -e --nodeps jack2 libjack2-0 libjackserver2-0
>
> 2) Just to be sure, also remove jack(1)
>
> # rpm -e --nodeps jack libjack0 libjackserver0 libjack-devel
> libjack0-32bit
>
> (I agree with paul that this naming scheme is absolutely ridiculous,
> on Gentoo it's called like upstream calls it: jack-audio-connection-kit)
>
> 3) Now make sure that there are no leftovers of
> libjack* in /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 and /usr/local/lib (who knows)
>
> 4) Then fire up YaST2, and make sure that you unset all ignored
> conflicts! "Extras -> Ignorierte Abhängigkeitskonflikte zurücksetzen"

:D my Linux all are on English, because I need to use lists on English.
But I understand what I have to take care about.

> 5) Reinstall jack by using either the suse-oss, or Jessi's rpm.

This is ...
> If you choose to use packman, use _only_ zypper, and never touch YaST
> again afterwards! See below.

... the ultimate amends :).

So it wasn't because I'm stupid? There is a bug?

> Hope that helps.
> @ oc2pus, jack in packman is broken, or YaST is. I set up a fresh
> install in a virtual machine using 11.1RC1 and only added packman.
>
> Currently there is:
> * pulseaudio-module-jack-0.9.12-8.5
> * libjack0-0.116.1-0.pm.1
>
> Now if I tick the box in YaST to install "jack" it pulls in
> libjackserver2-0 and jack, which of course breaks things, as it keeps
> libjack0. zypper on the other side gets it right. See the screenshot!
> http://gimpel.ath.cx/~tom/jack_weirdness.png
>
> If I would let YaST go on with that, I would end up with a broken jack
> install too :)
>
> I you, Ralf, used YaST, it really wasn't your fault at all.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

But I have to say, that I was doing this for 11.0,I have a 11.1 RC too,
but this comes without JACK at the moment.

Thank you very much :)

Ralf