Re: [LAD] wfs streaming project report

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Sun Jan 18 2009 - 15:22:02 EET

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 01:00:06PM +0100, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>
> Earlier today in Rome there was a performance of
> Stockhausen's Helicopter Quartet (the third ever
> worldwide) in which the four members of a string
> quartet perform in as many helicopter hovering
> above the concert hall, with the resulting music
> being reproduced for the audience inside.
>
> I've not seen any engineering reports on it so far,
> but it must have been a nice challenge as well.

wow. somebody finally did it? i know there have been at least two
attempts before, and both were cancelled as the expenses were
skyrocketing :)

the tricky part of the heli quartet is that not only do you need 4
bi-directional wireless audio links (the quality of which is pretty
secondary, given the available s/n inside a helicopter - i guess you
could do it with standard uhf audio gear and pimped antennae), but you
also need 4 very high quality video links for the musicians to be shown
on screens in the auditorium. and i would imagine a helicopter cockpit
to be a quite emr-unfriendly environment, and the available power to be
rather noisy...

even greater than the engineering challenge will be the challenge of
getting anybody to pay for that bs^H^Hthe realisation of such a
visionary piece of art. which seems to have succeeded :)

<flamebait>while i do have a soft spot for the old geezer from sirius, i
think the money would have been better spent on a whole bunch of other
works less heavy on artistic hubris and a bit better equipped in the
taste department.</flamebait>

jörn