Re: [LAD] Accommodation in Parma

From: benno.senoner <benno.senoner@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 27 2009 - 21:25:34 EET

Hi LADers, out of the LAD loop for a while unfortunately and probably
not able to attend LAC in Parma but
as an italian I hope that I can give you a few useful advices about
traveling in italy.

There is an airport in Parma
http://www.parma-airport.it/default.aspx
but it does not offer many destinations, most notaly Ryanair (very
cheap airline) lands in Parma (London - Parma).
You are connected with Rome too (with Airalps, probably expensive I guess).
Other major international airports not too far from Parma:

Milano Malpensa - main hub in northern italy.
http://www.sea-aeroportimilano.it/en/malpensa/index.phtml
(there is shuttlebus which for a few euros brings you to/from the
Milan railway station in 50min).
From there you can travel to Parma by train in about 1-1.5h,
11-16EURO (I did look up the prices on the italian railways website).

Bergamo Orio al Serio.
http://www.sacbo.it/Airpor/portalProcess.jsp?languageID=2
several low cost airlines land in Bergamo, including Ryanair to major
european destinations including Frankfurt and London.
The airport is only a few km away from the Bergamo railway station
connected by city bus, cost 2-3EURO I think.
You can reach Parma from Bergamo by Train in about 2-3h, cost 10-17EURO
Another possibility is to take the shuttle bus to Milan railway
station and then the train (I believe the total travel time is similar
2.5-3h).

Bologna airport
http://www.bologna-airport.it/?LN=UK
several international desitinations
bus shuttle service (Terminal-Raiway Station)
Ticket Fare: Euro 5 ticket may be purchased on the bus
Airport-station travel time: about 20 minutes
you can reach Parma from Bologna by train in about 1h, price 6-11EURO

Venice airport: Venezia Marco Polo
http://www.veniceairport.it/core/index.jsp?_requestid=134790&language=en
the airport is a few km away from Venezia Mestre (the peninsular part
of Venice), connected by shuttle bus in 20-30min, price a few euros
from Venezia Mestre you can take the train to parma, travel time about
3h, cost 12-40 EURO

(far from Parma but lots of international flights and good highspeed
train connection to Bologna,Parma)
Rome: 2 major airports: Roma Fiumicino and Roma Ciampino
from Fiumicino there is a train to the main Rome railway station (Roma Termini)
A light metro connects Ciampino railway station to Termini railway
station with an average time of 15 minutes.
(In think in both cases travel time is about 1h)
From the railway station you can reach Parma by highspeed train in
about 4h, cost 51 EURO.

To find out the exact train routes just use the italian railways
website: (click on English on the top)
http://www.ferroviedellostato.it

here you can enter origin, destination city and date and you get all
routes, prices and informations in case you need to take more than one
train to reach the destiation.

I hope this helps,
cheers,
Benno