Re: [LAD] [ot] - NEED some security advise PLEASE!

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 15 2009 - 01:43:17 EET

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:55:13PM +0100, Julien Claassen wrote:

> 8226 ? Ss 0:00 sshd: unknown [priv]
> 8227 ? S 0:00 sshd: unknown [net]

> Just before that I only saw "sshd [accept]" and "sshd [net]".
> Shutdown sshd and made new password and restarted sshd. Now it's the same.
> Can I easily check where it's coming from and what it's doing. I don't see
> anything besides those two lines. No other strange processes.

Someone is trying a ssh login - usually from the former
east block - and probably trying a list of user names
and passwords. Do (as root) tail -50 /var/log/secure
to see the show.

It happens here all the time. As long as you don't have
any easily guessed user/passwd combinations the danger
is limited, and closing your network connection for a
minute usually makes them go away. Configuring sshd to
allow only dsa authentication is better of course.

Last summer I watched one of them and whois told me
this was coming from a Canadian university. Called
their security, and it turned out this was a 'live'
user (very often its done by malware doing its job
without the system owner being aware) That one won't
try it again I guess...

Ciao,

--
FA