Re: [LAD] VST and Qt

From: David García Garzón <dgarcia@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 19:06:04 EEST

On Monday 06 April 2009 14:45:40 Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> David García Garzón wrote:
> > Hi, lads! Some news from the CLAM project.
> >
> > For anyone interested in that subject, we managed to build Qt based VST
> > interfaces (from linux!). Not about integrating existing VST in Qt
> > applications but building brand new plugins using Qt. This is an step to
> > get visual prototyped VST from CLAM as we got from LADSPA and JACK on
> > last releases. I don't think the integration could get into the next CLAM
> > release, but i guess that just the Qt-VST integration could be useful to
> > someone in the community.
> >
> > See more information here:
> > http://vokicodder.blogspot.com/2009/04/vst-plugins-with-qt-user-interface
> >.html
> >
> > The code is available in the first link to the CLAM developers list. Not
> > the proper distribution but i plan to make it available from clam or
> > other repository in short. Any collaborative hacking to improve it is
> > very welcome.
>
> I'm an programmer noob, but some questions.
>
> 1) what is your aim? Building VST plugins for Gnu/ Linux? Is a VST
> better then an LV2 plugin?
> 2) why is the focus in the Gnu/Linux work on VST and not on AudioUnit
> plugins? Linux and OS X are both Unix like systems right?

The principle we follow is "design once, generate many". We are aiming on
building any kind of plugins or audio backends our users want to build using
the CLAM framework. See: http://clam-project.org/wiki/Network_Editor_tutorial

One of those targets is building VST plugins *for Windows* (crosscompiled from
linux or natively from windows). The main advantage for linux users is that
they can visually build their plugins or JACK applications in linux with
CLAM, and then, if they want their plugin to be available for Windows users,
just click a button and you'll have a VST plugin as well.

LV2 is also on our roadmap, and I guess that having already support for Ladspa
it won't be that difficult. But right now our interests where VST just
because a project partners asked us for some vst's and, well, it was funny
doing that from linux. We had vst code working for a couple of years but
without GUI, and in order to make this code valuable we had to unlock the GUI
front. That's what we did.

The good news, if you are interested in AudioUnits, is that one of our
coworkers, Ferran Orriols, already has an assigned time slot to implement
AudioUnits in CLAM, after his eastern exams.

Of course, any help on supporting whatever plugin/backend platform would be
very appreciated as we have a limited number of hands. ;-)

David.