Re: [LAD] VST and Qt

From: Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 19:19:19 EEST

David García Garzón wrote:
> On Monday 06 April 2009 14:45:40 Grammostola Rosea wrote:
>
>> David García Garzón wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, lads! Some news from the CLAM project.
>>>
>>> For anyone interested in that subject, we managed to build Qt based VST
>>> interfaces (from linux!). Not about integrating existing VST in Qt
>>> applications but building brand new plugins using Qt. This is an step to
>>> get visual prototyped VST from CLAM as we got from LADSPA and JACK on
>>> last releases. I don't think the integration could get into the next CLAM
>>> release, but i guess that just the Qt-VST integration could be useful to
>>> someone in the community.
>>>
>>> See more information here:
>>> http://vokicodder.blogspot.com/2009/04/vst-plugins-with-qt-user-interface
>>> .html
>>>
>>> The code is available in the first link to the CLAM developers list. Not
>>> the proper distribution but i plan to make it available from clam or
>>> other repository in short. Any collaborative hacking to improve it is
>>> very welcome.
>>>
>> I'm an programmer noob, but some questions.
>>
>> 1) what is your aim? Building VST plugins for Gnu/ Linux? Is a VST
>> better then an LV2 plugin?
>> 2) why is the focus in the Gnu/Linux work on VST and not on AudioUnit
>> plugins? Linux and OS X are both Unix like systems right?
>>

> The principle we follow is "design once, generate many". We are aiming on
> building any kind of plugins or audio backends our users want to build using
> the CLAM framework. See: http://clam-project.org/wiki/Network_Editor_tutorial
>
> One of those targets is building VST plugins *for Windows* (crosscompiled from
> linux or natively from windows). The main advantage for linux users is that
> they can visually build their plugins or JACK applications in linux with
> CLAM, and then, if they want their plugin to be available for Windows users,
> just click a button and you'll have a VST plugin as well.
>
> LV2 is also on our roadmap, and I guess that having already support for Ladspa
> it won't be that difficult. But right now our interests where VST just
> because a project partners asked us for some vst's and, well, it was funny
> doing that from linux. We had vst code working for a couple of years but
> without GUI, and in order to make this code valuable we had to unlock the GUI
> front. That's what we did.
>
> The good news, if you are interested in AudioUnits, is that one of our
> coworkers, Ferran Orriols, already has an assigned time slot to implement
> AudioUnits in CLAM, after his eastern exams.
>
> Of course, any help on supporting whatever plugin/backend platform would be
> very appreciated as we have a limited number of hands. ;-)
>
> David.

@ Paul, thanks for your explanation.

@ David, Ok, thanks for information. I read often that people regret
that certain Free VST plugins are not available on GNU/Linux. VST plugin
authors don't want to make it for GNU/ Linux... maybe if it's easier to
build for both platforms this will improve. Also sometimes there is a
GUI for the Windows version and not for GNU/Linux (I think Freeverb3 is
such an example). Would be nice if such an Gui for Windows could be
easily build on GNU/Linux too.

Regards,

\r