Re: [LAD] basic in-game audio synthesis api?

From: David Olofson <david@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 03:25:53 EEST

On Saturday 04 April 2009, james morris wrote:
> Taken a quick look. It looks too low-level DSP for me. I was
> actually thinking something along the lines of Audiality (but
> couldn't recall its name).

As of now, Audiality is mostly off-line modular synthesis along with a
basic sampleplayer (DAHDSR envelopes, FX sends etc) and a few real
time "effects".

So far, it's really been focused on creating sounds from "nothing" (ie
no samples), though it can import, play and process sampled sounds as
well.

> Is Audiality dead?

Yes and no. The most current release is probably the "unnamed" sound
engine of Kobo Deluxe, though I'm just keeping it alive as I'm still
using it - no real development. (As of 0.5.1, all sounds are pure
modular synthesis - no samples.)
        http://kobodeluxe.com/
        http://www.audiality.org/

The plan is a major rewrite, using EEL for scripting (setup, real time
control processing etc) over a properly modular DSP engine (possibly
usable as a stand-alone library, without EEL), including
modular "massively additive" IFFT synthesis.
        http://eel.olofson.net/

The goal is to make it all modular, all the way from control data
through audio outputs, and optionally off-line/real time, so you can
have a "module" adapt to available resources, project requirements,
user preferences etc.

Think evolved MOD format, including proper sound effect support. You
load up a module, which exports a bunch of controls and triggers
defined by the module author. Like connecting a studio sampler to the
MIDI port and have the "sound guy" programm away on that - only you
actually ship with that thing included with the game.

When? When I get around to it... :-)

> Anything else similar?

Couldn't FMOD or some other popular "game sound engine" do this? I
know most of them have sample playback (obviously) and effects, but I
don't know how flexible they are when it comes to wiring things
together...

.-------  http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples  -------.
|        http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine       |
|       http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine          |