Re: [LAD] [Jack-Devel] more jack/qjackctl madness

From: alex stone <compose59@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 18 2009 - 12:23:20 EEST

So again, i'll ask the question.

Will we continue to have a Jack version minus the dbus infrastructure,
once jack2 is released?

Or are we destined to be dragged into a "compulsory" hybrid?

I share Fon's concerns, and still don't understand why the dbus/pulse
momentum is taking precedence over what has been up to now, a great
audio solution for any user who wants to write and create music.

I'm not a coder, but i'll ask the jack team, who i have a lot of
respect for, to take a step back and have another look at the bigger
picture again. Dbus may be a way into a partnership with Pulse, but
that implies a degree of compulsory requirement for the user.

And i don't think answering with "So don't use it" is an answer if
there's a question over the persistence of Dbus and Pulse overriding
the users intent.

Fon's description of "Big Brother" seems more applicable, and less
humorous, the more one thinks about this.

Alex.

p.s. I'm practical about software, so the Dbus "mantra" means nothing to me.

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Nedko Arnaudov <nedko@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>
>> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 09:36:12AM +0200, Stéphane Letz wrote:
>>
>>> I really appreciate your feedback...,  but AFAICS Qjackctl is *absolutely*
>>> not using the DBUS layer!
>>
>> Then please tell what this is:  (ps -ef output)
>>
>> fons      2444     1  0 10:43 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/jackdbus auto
>>
>> Killing this makes qjackctl behave normally again,
>> and allows me to start the server configured in it
>> Setup window instead of getting a different one.
>
> Presence of jackbus process does not mean that jack server is
> started. It means that jack server may or may not be started. jackdbus
> service is there to allow in future creation of multiple jack servers.
>
> the easiest way to check whether jack server is started by jackdbus
> service is:
>
> jack_control status
>
> --
> Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: DE1716B0>

Parchment Studios (It started as a joke...)