Re: [LAD] [Jack-Devel] jackd/jackdbus : D-Bus or not D-Bus...

From: <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 19 2009 - 12:42:46 EEST

On Tue, 19 May 2009 11:32:37 +0200
Stéphane Letz <letz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > (there are two 5)'s above but i'll refer to the first one)
> >
> > i vote for the 5) auto-start strategy. user selects which one he/she
> > prefers. the default should be "classic" and i would add fallback to
> > "d-bus" and/or "osc" whatever. i still fail to see the problem of
> > honoring
> > .jackdrc if it exists on your home directory. ie. if .jackdrc
> > exists then
> > do the "classic" auto-start; if not, check d-bus service; etc.
> >
> > byee
> > --
> > rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
> > rncbc@email-addr-hidden
>

> But since some applications like Qjackctl or Ardour write this
> ".jackdrc" file in a possible hidden way for the average user, then
> the system possibly goes back in the "classic" auto-start strategy,
> without any knowledge of that.
>
> Stephane

I also think that the existence of a file is a bad way to determine
classic or dbus or whatever might show up in future.

Some env variable or similar would be a lot better, but it's also
important that this doesn't interfere with the manual start of jackd in
any way, so you can have it autostart with dbus, kill it, start it
manually without dbus.

Regards,
Philipp