Re: [LAD] [RFC] LADSPA 1.2

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 18 2009 - 22:27:26 EEST

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 08:54:39PM +0200, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:

> You would have to add the names in order of (port index, value),
> starting from PortNames + PortCount... is this really so intuitive to
> someone who occasionaly does C?

Should someone who 'occasionaly does C' write a
plugin host ? It's not going to end well, and
that won't be because of what I propose.

And in the plugin itself it's trivially easy.
An example:

static const char * const strings [] =
{
// Port names
  "In-L",
  "In-R",
  "Out-L",
  "Out-R",

// Labels for the mono / stereo switch
  "Mono",
  "Stereo",

// Labels for the reverb type selection
  "Concert hall",
  "Small church",
  "Vocal plate",
  "Bathroom"
};

etc.

Of course, if someone would generate this array dynamically
(some people do this, just copying string constants from A
to B which is quite silly) that means they are complicating
things for themselves.

> I don't want to repeat nothing, I really don't care, and any solution
> (even none) is fine with me. I was just making a suggestion and you,
> as usual, are bashing people claiming they don't use their brain when
> you disagree...

Not because I disagree, and nothing personal.
But if you read the code I posted, and the comments
provided with it, and think about this for a second,
you can't honestly say it's complicated. Anyone who
can write C can grok this code and the intention
behind it in no time.

> you're becoming too Italian man (and here's an Italian
> writing this mail).

:-) Is it as hot where you are ?

Ciao !

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.