Re: [LAD] RFC: Default discovery paths for LADSPA, LRDF, LV2 and DSSI (and more?)

From: Jan Weil <jan.weil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 25 2009 - 10:00:32 EEST

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 05:25:48AM +0200, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:
> 2009/6/24 David Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden>:
> > On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 17:55 +0200, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:
> >> Hereby I propose some default paths which could be used, in the hope
> >> that API authors lurking around here might want to recommend them and
> >> host authors might want to use them:
> >>
> >> LADSPA
> >>   Unix-like OSes with FHS/Unix-like filesystem layout:
> >> /usr/lib/ladspa, /usr/local/lib/ladspa, ~/.ladspa
> >>   Windows: %PROGRAMFILES%\LADSPA, %APPDATA%\LADSPA
> >>   Mac OS X: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA, ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA
> >>
> >> DSSI
> >>   Unix-like OSes with FHS/Unix-like filesystem layout: /usr/lib/dssi,
> >> /usr/local/lib/dssi, ~/.dssi
> >>   Windows: %PROGRAMFILES%\DSSI, %APPDATA%\DSSI
> >>   Mac OS X: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/DSSI, ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/DSSI
> >>
> >> LV2
> >>   Unix-like OSes with FHS/Unix-like filesystem layout: /usr/lib/lv2,
> >> /usr/local/lib/lv2, ~/.lv2
> >>   Windows: %PROGRAMFILES%\LV2, %APPDATA%\LV2
> >>   Mac OS X: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LV2, ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LV2
> >
> > Note the order matters for PATH-like variables such as these.
>
> Apart from the "evaluate the path variable before using the default" I
> don't see how the order should matter. Am I missing something?

I guess it might matter if you have multiple version of the same plugin
installed, depending on how the application references the plugins.
Ecasound, for example, uses LADSPA unique ids if I remember correctly,
which means only one of the multiple versions will be usable. Which one
that is probably depends on the order of the paths.

Jan